Split-Photo Wall Art

Happy Monday, friends!
When Carrie from Lovely Etc. invited me to take part in the BE BOLD Challenge, I must admit, I got a little nervous.
I’m not usually bold, but I’m so glad I took the gamble.
I’m in love with the result!
Split-Photo Engineer Print Wall Art via housebyhoff.com
Here’s how I completed this ginormous split-photo wall art for less than $10:
Split-Photo Engineer Print Wall Art via housebyhoff.com
 1.  I had my favorite photo of Miss L. printed out as a 36″ x 48″ Engineer Print at Staples.  The entire printed photo cost $7.29.  {It’s printed on regular paper, not photo paper.  High-resolution photos work best for this enormous size.}
2.  I placed two 20″ x 30″ foam boards {40% off from JoAnn = $1.30 each} on the back of the Engineer Print where I wanted to “split” the photo.
3.  When I was sure I was sure where I wanted to cut the photo, I just went for it.  I left about a 1-inch margin around where the board would be placed.
4.  I angled the ends of 1-inch border for optimum folding and tightly wrapped corners.
5.  Using double-sided tape, I folded and secured my photo to the foam board.  For extra reinforcement I also used regular tape to secure the photo paper onto the foam board.
6.  Ta da!  The finished product makes quite a statement!
Split-Photo Engineer Print Wall Art via housebyhoff.com
I hung the foam board photos on the wall using 3M’s Command Damage Free Hanging Strips.
As much as I love this wintery photo scene, it may not feel appropriate in July, so I want to be able to remove them easily without holes or touch-up to the walls.
Split-Photo Engineer Print Wall Art via housebyhoff.com
I’m digging the way the photo acts as a backdrop in my eating area.
It doesn’t look too busy.  We don’t want that.
Split-Photo Engineer Print Wall Art via housebyhoff.com
Now, here’s the good part:
We’re inviting YOU to share your bold project(s) at an 11-blog link up party on February 24th.
 Be sure to check out my BOLD blogging friends:
Carrie from Lovely Etc.
Emily from 52 Mantels
Ashley from Naptime DIY
Krista from The Happy Housie
Have a great day, maybe even do something BOLD!:)

1. says

Seriously, April? This is amazing!! I’ve got some serious wall space that needs to be filled. And I may just have to copy your idea. 🙂 thanks for sharing!!

2. says

April, this is beautiful! I love the entire room; such a classy, but comfortable space. Well done! Just stopping by from Rain on a Tin Roof… so glad I found you! 🙂 Have a great week!

3. says

L.O.V.E. this project April. First of all, your winter photographs are stunning and seeing this one on such a large scale in such a creative and thrifty way is just amazing! So happy to be part of this challenge with you!

– Tasha @ Designer Trapped in a Lawyer’s Body {www.designertrapped.com}

4. says

This is beautiful. I have a HUGE wall in my great room just screaming for something like this. The image is gorgeous and your tutorial is great! So very inspired!

5. says

I love how simple and bold this is at the same time April! Stunning. I can’t wait for the be bold challenge. Should be a lot of fun! Hope you are having a great week so far.
    Corey @ TinySidekick.com

6. says

LOVE! The balance in that photo is perfection. It’s perfect for splitting across two canvases! Pinning so I can do something similar, although how I would ever attempt to pick a fave of my girl, I have no idea. 🙂

7. Lauren says

I love your print and the cute candle holders underneath. Do you mind sharing where you found them? I’ve been hunting for some like them for a year! Thanks.

8. Lynn W says

Ok…..it’s the end of 2014 and I will be taking down Christmas this coming weekend and that means lots of empty feeling walls and less bling 🙁 Here I find this post from way back on Feb 17, earlier this year and that was my birthday! I will be trying this project out to bring in the new year with something really cool and new! Thank you April for inspiring me for 2015!!! Yay 🙂

9. says

That is a beautiful picture! And such a cool idea of splitting it. I can’t believe how inexpensive the project was. Most statement pieces like that are sooooo much more expensive. I can’t wait to try this!

10. b elle says

Hi there, You are sooo my hero today 🙂 So glad I found you. I love this!! Such a great idea. Thanku-tanku-tanku… Do you or anyone else commenting here have specs on what Staples will accept as far as resolution per size options for their engineer prints. On there website it just gives you three size options with specs that just say black and white only and no color pix. But can’t you just make a color pix black n white or are they actually asking for vector (line drawing) versus raster based image files?? Any file type options (JPEG, tiff, etc) would be great to know also! Thanks again!

• April Hoff says

Hi! You are too funny. Well, I don’t know if I can answer all of your questions, but I just saved my black and white image to a zip drive (as a jpeg) and took it in to be printed. I have no idea what size the image was, but obviously the bigger the better. 😉

11. Julie says

Thanks so much for this. My first ever pinterest craft is now complete. Such an inexpensive and easy way to display a great picture of our kids in their room. Love it! Thank you!

• April Hoff says

You are SO welcome, Julie! I’m so glad your first Pinterest craft was a success!!! Now go make another one! Ha! 😉

12. Debbie says

Awesome…April. One question on the corners…you say cut to angle. Not sure how to fold over for a flawless corner. Can you elaborate?

1. […] It’s always nice to fill your walls with things that make you feel great. Decorating a home with oversized photos is a foolproof way to liven up your personal space. It’s the perfect way to preserve a memory or turn your hallway into your own personal art gallery. All you’ll need for this DIY project is an extra-large photo, two foam boards, and double-sided tape. Step-by-step directions can be found here. […]