You know it’s going to be a great day when it’s a $30 Thursday!
Alright, without further ado, my project is a GORGEOUS, if I do say so myself, fabric strip lampshade for Miss L’s room:
I love this lampshade! It added a pop of fun color and whimsy to her room! Here is how I did it:
1. I happened to have an old wire-frame lampshade in my basement. (Goodwill or another thrift store would be a great place to find these for cheap!)
2. Using scissors and my arm muscles (a.k.a. “the guns”) I ripped off the lampshade, leaving only a wire frame.
3. I bought a “quilter’s bundle” (what a cutsie name, no?), at JoAnn for $10.00, but with my 15% off my entire purchase coupon, it was $8.50 (this is where the my fifth grade math teaching experience really comes in handy). I already had the other two fabrics from other projects in Miss L’s room, the green polka dot is from JoAnn and the floral is from Hobby Lobby.
4. Using only my bare hands and “the guns” I ripped the fabric into approximately 1-inch strips. Don’t they look like a bunch of crazy pom-poms on the floor?
5. Using a glue gun, I secured the fabric onto the wire frame’s top and bottom circles by wrapping (and wrapping, and wrapping, and wrap…ok you get the point).
6. I began tying my fabric strips around the frame one at a time. Once I had one strip tied, I moved on to the next section and tied another one, then moved on to the next section, etc. I had a pattern going, which was good, because on the finished lampshade, the fabrics look evenly distributed and placed.
7. BE SURE to spray your lampshade with fire retardant spray.
Tying on all of the fabric strips took awhile (one IU basketball game and the 2-hour finale of Downton Abbey to be exact). I can’t even look at that thing without getting teary over the death of Matthew…
Isn’t she lovely? Isn’t she wonderful?
I don’t think Miss. L has even noticed her yet…
Here is a shot of the whole dresser. Click here for tutorials on the yarn letters, the monogram bucket, and the scrapbook paper birdie print.
And now, here is a sneak peak at what Shayna created:
Is this girl good, or what?!? Go check it out at The Woodgrain Cottage!
Also, don’t forget to follow our $30 Thursday Pinterest Board!
Have a great day! 🙂
Linking up at: